What is No Objection Letter (NOC)?
You must be familiar with the term NOC (No Objection Certificate) if you are planning to study abroad. If not, this blog will help you understand what NOC is and some frequently asked questions associated with it. An NOC is a consent or authorization document that is issued by Government of Nepal stating that they have no problems with your plan to study abroad.
It is also commonly known as No Objection Letter. It is solely issued by Ministry of Education (MoE). You can only study abroad once you get this letter from MoE.
Why do you need NOC?
Obtaining an NOC means you have a legal consent from Government of Nepal to study in foreign countries and can make a payment to the intended institutions abroad. Students must submit NOC to bank while making any payment to the institution mentioned in NOC. You can only make a payment to the particular institution mentioned in the NOC.
If you want to pay for more than one institution or for more than one country, you need separate NOCs for each institution. NOC is also required while you want to exchange NPR to any other foreign currencies.
For example, if you plan to study in Canada and have already received an offer letter, you will be asked to pay the tuition in order to apply for a visa for which bank is the most common way. The bank requires a NOC to make a payment in foreign countries on your behalf.
Who can apply for NOC?
Anybody who wishes to study in foreign countries can apply for NOC. However, a student should have a valid offer from the school they intend to study. Student’s guardian can also apply for NOC on their behalf. Guardian of students includes parents, grandparents, elder brother or sister and spouse. If a guardian is applying for NOC on behalf of the student, they should include their citizenship along with other required documents.
What are the documents required to apply for NOC?
Students should provide some documents while applying for NOC. They are as follows:
- Passport (Original and Notarized Photocopy)
- Citizenship (Original and Notarized Photocopy)
- Academic Transcripts of the last Academic Degree (Original and Notarized Photocopy)
- A valid Offer Letter or I-20 from the University/College
- Eligibility and Registration Certificate from the Council if studying medical or nursing (Original and Notarized Photocopy)
- Marriage Registration Certificate if your last name has been changed because of marriage
Can I apply online for NOC?
You can also apply for NOC online. The Government of Nepal has initiated online application of NOC since July 15, 2020.
Online application process for NOC
- Go to http://noc.moest.gov.np and create your account. The first thing you need to do is sign up with your email address or phone number in order to start the application for NOC.
- Fill the online application form following the instruction as well as upload the documents asked for. Make sure that all the documents uploaded are clear.
- You will get a notice of your document verification usually within 2-3 business days.
- If your application is approved, you will have to pay the revenue of Rs. 2000.00 for each NOC payable to MOE at Rastriya Banijya Bank. You may be sometimes asked for extra documents or information for verification.
- Sometimes you might not find the subjects or schools you intend to study in the portal while applying for NOC. In this case, you need to make a subject request.
- Make sure that you provide all the information asked while making a subject request. It may take 1 to 2 business days for the subject to be approved or else you might be asked for other information if missing.
- Continue with your application once your subject is approved. You will see the approval notice on the notification tab of the portal once you login.
- Though applied online, you must visit MOE, Scholarship wing at Keshar Mahal for hard copy.
What is the process to apply a NOC physically?
Applying and receiving NOC physically was the only way to get a NOC before July, 2020 until the government initiated the online application process for NOC. However, many students today still prefer physical application. Here is the stepwise process to apply the NOC physically
- The first step to apply for a NOC is to gather all the required documents which are already mentioned above.
- Fill the application form with all the details asked for. You can download the application form from the MOE website moe.gov.np or at MOE, Keshar Mahal itself. If you need an NOC for more than one subject, level or institutions, you should fill the separate application form for each of them.
- Application form and document verification at Window 3
- Pay the fees at Window 2
- Submit your documents to Window 4 once the payment is made. You will get a token number.
- Collect your NOC at Window 6
You are also required to pay a certain fee for NOC applied for each subject, level or institution. Make sure that you submit your application by 12 noon Sunday to Thursday and by 11:30 am Friday.
The queue is generally long and it may time in each window. Usually, you can get a NOC within a day (physically) if you have all the require documents and visited timely. This is what the application form looks like:
What is the cost of obtaining NOC in Nepal?
The MOE charges Rs. 2000.00 for each NOC as revenue. You will have to pay an additional Rs. 2000 if you want a NOC for another course, school or level. You can pay this fee at Window 2 if applying physically or deposit by bank transfer if applying online. If applying online, RBB is the beneficiary bank.
Where can I get NOC from in Nepal?
NOC is issued by Ministry of Education (MOE), Scholarship Wing located at Keshar Mahal.
The details are as follows:
Ministry of Education
Keshar Mahal, Kathmandu
Frequently asked questions about NOC Nepal
Who needs NOC?
Students who want to study abroad need NOC.
Why do I need a NOC?
You need NOC to study abroad as it is a permission from government that you are allowed to study abroad and to pay the tuition fee to your intended college or university. It is also important for the currency exchange when you submit or take the payment o study abroad.
How can I apply for NOC?
NOC can be applied both physically and online.
How long does it take to get a NOC?
You will get it the same day if applied physically and if all the documents are complete. Applying online may take 1-2 business days.
How much does it cost for NOC?
The fee for NOC is Rs. 2000.
Can I study abroad without NOC?
Do I need a NOC even if I don’t have to pay anything to foreign schools?
You might be asked for a NOC at immigration before departure. So, it is always advised to get a NOC if you are going for abroad studies.
Sample of NOC Nepal